London School of Architecture Logo


Please ensure you have read through all the information in this section carefully before you submit your application.



Applicants should have a 2.2 Honours degree in architecture and ARB/RIBA Part 1. An equivalent architectural degree to Part 1 may be acceptable, but applicants must be aware that they cannot progress to ARB/RIBA Part 3 without having completed and passed Parts 1 and 2 in order to register as an architect in the UK, according to current UK government legislation.†

Students who are commencing the course are advised that, should they wish to be eligible to receive their Part 2 upon graduation, they must have been awarded ARB/RIBA Part 1. This should normally have been achieved prior to enrolment or, in agreed circumstances, within the First Year of the course. Only in exceptional circumstances will students be allowed to progress into the Second Year of the course, without the award of ARB/RIBA Part 1. International courses, which are recognised by the Royal Institute of British Architects, are not recognised by the Architects Registration Board for the purposes of exemption from ARB Part 1 in the UK. If you do not already have Part 1 accreditation at the start of the course or as a result of your previous studies, you will need to take an examination with the ARB. If you have any doubts as to your status it is advisable to talk to the Programme Manager.

† As of 1 January 2021, no EU Member State is be obliged to automatically recognise the UK’s qualifications for the purposes of registration. As such, it is up to a student’s own domicile’s discretion to recognise any qualification gained in the UK.

In order to be eligible to apply to register as an architect in the UK, you must have completed and passed ARB/RIBA Parts 1 and 2 programmes and have ‘recently completed a minimum of 24 months’ practical experience under the direct supervision of a professional working in the construction industry.

Please note: your experience in practice during the LSA MArch in Designing Architecture (ARB/RIBA Part 2) programme that is undertaken as part of your educational course in the integrated placement for the modules Critical Practice: Placement and Critical Practice: Theory cannot be counted towards your 24 months’ practical experience.

For further up-to-date information please visit the ARB website, which has full information at the following link here.

Applicants are required to demonstrate talent as a designer as well as ability and motivation to complete the programme successfully. The LSA is looking for its students to rise to the ambitious challenge set by the programme, and applicants should address the P.R.I.M.E Characteristics and P.R.I.M.E Values.

Applicants will be expected to present a portfolio, demonstrating their ambition for the subject area and for studying at masters level. Applicants need to be eligible to study in the UK for the full duration of the programme, and to be eligible to work in the UK for the duration of the work placement, according to current UK government legislation.

The LSA does not currently have a Student Route Visa (previously ‘Tier 4’) UKVI licence. EU and International students, who are currently residing in the UK and are already in possession of alternative visas, which do allow for study and work within the UK for the duration of the course, are eligible to apply. However, it is the responsibility of the applicant to check with local UK immigration authorities regarding the above. Those doing so must make evidence of this explicit upon their application to the LSA.


Students whose first language is NOT English must provide evidence of their English language skills demonstrated by:

  • the equivalent of level B2 of the Common European Framework of References for English language to study at degree level or above
  • by gaining a further English language qualification if deemed achievable by the LSA

To meet the English language requirements of the LSA, candidates must obtain one of the following language qualifications:

  • IELTS (UKVI): A score of 6.0 overall is required, with at least 5.5 in each category. IELTS reports have a two-year validity period. Certificates must therefore have been obtained within two years of the candidate’s visa application date
  • Trinity College SELT Test (ISE II (B2) or ISE III (C1)): A pass is required in each category at minimum. Trinity reports have a two-year validity period
  • Pearson PTE (Academic UKVI): A score with at least 51 in each category

English language exams vary in terms of how long they remain valid.  Candidates should provide the LSA’s Admissions Team with a scanned copy of their official test certificate and the TRF number from that certificate. The required scores must be achieved during a single sitting of the examination.

In addition to the above, applicants may also choose from one of the following English language test and qualification options:

  • GCSE/IGCSE English, IGCSE English (First Language) or English Language: Pass at 5 (or grade C) is required
  • A Level English Language or English Language and Literature or English Literature: Grade C or above is required
  • IB English A (SL) and IB English A (HL): Language and Literature or Literature: Grade 5 or above is required
  • IB English B (for non-native speakers) (SL): Grade 7 or above is required
  • IB English B (for non-native speakers) (HL): Grade 5 or above is required

Applicants must enter the name and result of their test on their application, and provide an original copy at registration. If an applicant doesn’t have one of these qualifications but is currently being taught in English, they may contact the LSA’s Admissions Team for advice at


If you are currently studying at another university and would like to transfer to London School of Architecture to join the two-year programme for the qualification of the MArch in Designing Architecture the regular entry commences at the beginning of September of each academic year through the application procedure as stated on the LSA website.


A student’s eligibility for advanced entry will be assessed by our academic staff on an individual basis and will be based on the following:

compatibility of the modules/grades of your previous study against the London School of Architecture programme and its modules

your work will be assessed by the school to ensure compliance against learning outcomes required for professional qualification as an architect

analysis of the transcripts of your first and/or second year studies. (Please note that no decision will be made on your application until we receive a copy of the transcripts of your previous study (or, if you are still yet to complete this study, a partial transcript including details of all outstanding modules)

quality of your academic reference and personal statement


If you wish to transfer to a course at another university the LSA will provide you with:

  • A transcript outlining the modules you have completed and the grades which you have achieved
  • An exit award if you have passed sufficient credit (Certificate in Designing Architecture)
  • An academic reference from one of your course staff on request
  • The amount of tuition fees you will have to pay to the LSA will depend on your official day of withdrawal notified to us in writing

You should be aware that if you transfer mid-year, then you may find yourself liable for fees at the LSA and the university to which you are transferring. Please check with the relevant university.

If you are in receipt of Student Finance you are only entitled to a tuition fee loan for the terms you are in attendance at the LSA. The LSA will inform Student Finance of your last date of attendance once you have notified us in writing of your withdrawal. Your new university will also need to contact Student Finance and complete a form called Confirmation of Circumstances Form – Student Transfer.